Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Attack of the Rungries

I ran my first marathon at the weekend (and most probably the last for a while, but that's another story). It feels a bit like I've been hungry for the last 5 months as the training cranked up. I'm currently in 'recovery mode' (otherwise known as struggling to get off the couch), but could still happily snack all day.
I saw a recipe for a DIY energy bar in a recent UK edition of Runner's World. Shop bought muesli bars can be a bit hit and miss from a nutritional point of view, as some contain little more than sugar syrup and rice bubbles. If you make your own, you can be sure that it contains real ingredients. Plus they taste a whole lot better (though I may be biased).
I adapted the Runner's World recipe a wee bit to reduce the amount of refined sugar, and rather than hunt for dried strawberries in Countdown I swapped some of the ingredients to what I had in the pantry. This recipe is my version. I'm pleased with how they turned out, and they'll hopefully help keep the hanger under control until I get moving again.

Ingredients
100g butter
50g coconut sugar
100g honey
100g yummy mix
30g pumpkin seeds
30g sunflower seeds
30g roughly chopped raw almonds
200g oats
50g wholemeal flour

Preheat oven to 170C
Line a 20cm x 20cm tin with baking paper.
Melt the butter, sugar and honey in a pan or the microwave.
Put all the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix together well, then add the melted butter mixture and combine.
Tip the mixture into the tin, level out, and press down well with the back of a spoon or measuring cup.
Bake for 35 minutes until the top has browned.
Allow to cool and cut into bars or squares, and store in an airtight container.
If you're feeling bold you could put some in your child's lunchbox and hope that she will actually venture to taste the yummy slice, before having a big strop that you've replaced her preferred caramel slice or M&Ms cookie with something that looks suspiciously healthy and lacking in artificial colours ......

No comments:

Post a Comment