Sunday, May 18, 2014

Berry Delicious

My favourite way to get the weekend started is Saturday morning parkrun. This is  closely followed by a latte and catch up with other strange like minded folk who are happy to forgo a winter weekend lie in, to go from freezing to hot & sweaty by running around a muddy park for half an hour. I'm probably not selling it well. So maybe I should mention how beautiful the park is, the post run glow (not just from getting a tad sweaty), the fab company and of course the coffee (never forget the coffee).

Yesterday's parkrun was doubly special for me. Firstly I received my parkrun 50 shirt (yay), and secondly my kids ran too. It was my daughter's first time and safe to say she hated it after her first speedy k. I'm hoping I can persuade her to keep at it until she gets past the stage where it feels too hard and can start enjoy it. Sadly she seems to be past the age where it's cool to do what mum does. Or maybe she never was at that age, I can't remember. Anyway, I've digressed ever so slightly....
New shirts and family time call for celebration cake. I made this gorgeous cake using a recipe from The Raw Kitchen's new e-book Raw Armour. Some of the ingredients are quite spendy (e.g. coconut oil and a lot of cashew nuts), so probably not one to make for just a wee snack.
In honour of the new red shirt I chose a red (well, redish) cake. The recipe here is reproduced with the very kind permission of Olivia at the Raw Kitchen.

BERRY BOMB CAKE

INGREDIENTS
BASE
1 cup coconut
1 cup sunflower seed (I used mixed nuts)
1 cup soaked dates
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt 

FILLING 1 BERRY BOMB
2 cups cashews
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup water
1 cup mixed berry (blueberry, raspberry, blackberry)
1 tbsp. acai powder (I left this out)
1/2 cup rice malt syrup (I used maple)
1 tbsp. lemon
1 tbsp. psyllium husk 

FILLING 2 MACA VANILLA
1 cup soaked cashew
1 cup soaked coconut chip
1/2 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp. maca powder (I left this out)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp. psyllium husk 

GARNISH
1 tbsp. freeze dried raspberry (I left this out)
Mixed berries 

EQUIPMENT
22cm Spring form Cake pan  

METHOD
In your food processor, process coconut, sunflower seed (or I used mixed nuts instead) vanilla and salt until fine.
Add coconut oil and process until oily. Now add your dates and process until mixture forms a ball. Place into your springform pan and set in the freezer.

Filling 1
In your blender, blend all ingredients except your psyllium. Process this until smooth. Add psyllium at the very end and  blend further. Pour this into your cake pan and use a spatula or cake knife to flatten layer.
Filling 2
In your blender, blend all ingredients except your psyllium. Process this until smooth. Add psyllium at the very end and  blend further. Pour this on top of your other layer and use a spatula or cake knife to flatten layer.
Garnish as you like and place in freezer (recipe says freezer but my cake set in the fridge with no problems) for 8 hours or until firm. When set, clip off spring form sides and keep in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment